ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES FOR TOPIC 1
- List four major pieces of equipment that must be cleaned regularly.
- What are the legal requirements for hand-washing glasses?
- State the legal minimum operating temperature for a glass-washing machines.
- What is the correct way to dispose of broken glass ?
1.Major pieces of equipment in bar that must be cleaned regularly include :
- Glass washing machines
- Post-mix dispensers
- Ice machines
- Coffee machines
- Beer panels
- Electronic spirit dispensers
2. While glass washing is generally done by machine the law allows to be done by hand as long as the following conditions are met :
- The sink must be a stainless steel, double bowl sink.
- One bowl of the sink must be filled with hot water and a suitable detergent, while the other must contain clean, running water to rinse glassware.
3. After allowing the machine to warm up, check that the thermostat is set to the correct temperature. By law the wash or rinse cycle must operate at a minimum temperature of 77° C.
4. Broken glass should be swept up and disposed of in a specific ‘glass only’ bin, the pieces should never be placed in a general use waste bin.